Monday, December 12, 2011

Week Two Review

It’s hard to believe I’ve been out on the road for 14 days already – time has flown by – something I am happily surprised about. I, like most people, was a bit worried when I left that I might find myself extremely bored just being the passenger however it has been just the opposite.

This past week we got a visit into Destination Daytona Harley Davidson, followed by a trip to the Spanish side of Miami (I did not know there was such a thing). Once we picked up our load we hit the Florida road again making a quick stop at the local Wal-Mart to purchase some groceries and of course we had to get oranges. This is where we learned that if you want Florida oranges you don’t go to Wal-Mart – because their oranges come from California and are nasty. Needless to say the whole bag ended up in the trash and we never got our Florida oranges. From there we were Georgia bound where I would watch the peanut and peach stands pass me by every mile. We were in Georgia just long enough to drop off one load, take a 10 hour break and head to a Wal-Mart distribution center in Virginia – and if you thought the Wal-Mart stores were big you should see these distribution centers, they take up acres upon acres.

This past week we’ve conquered scary roads, bad drivers, and lots of interesting CB radio talk. I’m gaining a better understanding of what it is really like to be out on the road every day and was so grateful for a break this weekend at a nice hotel. The eating part is still slightly difficult, breakfast and lunch are easy but after sitting all day I can’t wait to get out of the truck and generally that means walking towards the truck stop. Even when it’s not truck stop dinner it’s some sort of pasta, either soup or quick noodles and we know what pasta is filled with – carbs, carbs, carbs – and when I’m not exercising regularly those carbs just sit (and you can just guess where they sit on me).  

I’m looking forward to more adventures this week, getting some more reading done, and enjoying the time with my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment